Home Politics Museveni Endorses Oulanyah’s Son for Omoro Bye-Elections, NRM Aspirants to Step Down

Museveni Endorses Oulanyah’s Son for Omoro Bye-Elections, NRM Aspirants to Step Down

156

President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni who is also the National Chairman of National Resistance Movement (NRM) has endorsed late Oulanyah’s Son Ojok Andrew Oulanya to contest for Omoro county constituency by-election following held discussions with leaders from Omoro District, other aspirants over the matter.

The meeting that was organized by NRM secretariat led by Richard Todwong, also attended by the Secretary General, the District executive committee, the aspirants, cultural leaders, religious leadersamong others took place on Tuesday at the president’s country home in Rwakitula, Kiruhura District.

This follows the recent released the electoral programme by the Electoral Commission for by-election of Member of Parliament for Omoro County Constituency.

During the meeting, all the five aspirants were given an opportunity to sell their candidature to the leaders who attended and these include Ojok Andrew Oulanya (son to the late Jacob Oulanya), Okello Douglas Peter (the current LCV chairperson), Olal Obong, Acellam Ben, and Okello Francis.

ALSO READ  "Bobi Wine Never Wanted to Remove Museveni"- Kato Lubwama Spills All Secrets

In the meeting, all the five NRM aspirants agreed to step down for Ojok Andrew Oulanya, the son of the late speaker Jacob Oulanya for continuity for his father’s term in the August house.

Speaking to the delegation from Omoro, President Museveni commended leaders from Omoro district for mediating the aspirants and also thanked the aspirants for listening to their leaders.
“If Oulanyah had not died, we would not have elections in that area until 2026. So I think the decent thing to do is to support his son to complete the father’s term,” Museveni said.

The NRM chairman said that it is a matter of decency but also avoiding wastage of time.
“if the Oulanyah’s son does not perform in the remaining three years, then they may come backand compete with him in the next elections” he added.
“People get tired of endless elections. If there is a sentiment that one of the children of Oulanyah stands in for him and for us, I think it is really decent. It is decent to say let the boy go. If he is given a chance and he doesn’t perform we shall see what next.”

ALSO READ  Uganda's new airbus to be flown home Tomorrow

President Museveni also commended the four aspirants for putting the party first before self and agreeing to step aside for a smooth process.
“Am happy to hear from you yourself. You can come and compete with the boy in 2026 if he doesn’t perform. So am very glad to hear this, thank you,” he said.

The Omoro County Constituency fall vacant after the death of the former Member of Parliament and former Speaker of Parliament, the Rt. Hon. Jacob L’Okori Oulanyah in Seattle United States last month.

Previous articleMesach Semakula Quits Golden Band, gives his reasons
Next articleMinister Kasaija, Ggoobi and investor Summoned by Parliamentary Committee over Coffee Deal
Jolliebest Kasajja is a Ugandan Photo Journalist, Influencer, Photo and Videographer, Nnews Editor and Critic for African Politics.