Minister for ICT and National Guidance Chris Baryomunsi has condemned social media users who have used the platform to celebrate the death of the Rt.Hon Speaker Jacob Oulanyah.
On Sunday, March 20, 2022, President Yoweri Museveni announced the death of Speaker Jacob Oulanyah.
“20th March 2022. Countrymen and Countrywomen, It is with a lot of sadness that I announce the death of the Rt. Hon. Jacob Oulanyah, the Speaker of Parliament,” Museveni tweeted.
Since the announcement, some social users have started jubilating the death of the speaker while others make all kinds of allegations about the cause of the Speaker’s death which Baryomunsi condemns.
“There are several Ugandans who are human beings but not being human. We need to unite as the country is celebrating the life of Jacob Oulanyah” he said while appearing on NBS TV.
“We condemn those who are using social media to celebrate the death of the Rt.Hon. Jacob Oulanyah” he added.
However, Oulanyah’s father Mr. Nathan Okori, has revealed socking details to the public as he claims that his son was poisoned
“I know all of you who have come here are mourners. His (Oulanyah’s) death is not easy news to welcome because I know he did not die of natural causes, he was poisoned,” Mr. Okori told handful mourners at their ancestral home in Omoro District.
Information minister and government spokesperson, Dr. Chris Baryomunsi, in response to our inquiries, last night told the public to ignore all those claims.
“Ignore that information poisoning claims. The post-mortem report will be released and the government will give out a statement.”
“I don’t want somebody to bring their politics here,” Mr Okori said yesterday in Omoro.
“He (Oulanyah) called and promised me certain things and what he told me I know very well,” he added.
“I know very well that he was poisoned, and whatever somebody will say tomorrow should not distort the information we now have.” Oulanyah’s father Nathan Okori said.
Government has said it will issue an official statement about the burial arrangements of Speaker of Parliament Jacob Oulanyah on Tuesday.
The minister for Presidency, Ms Milly Babalanda, tweeted on Sunday that the government will take charge of the Speaker’s burial arrangements.
“Fellow Ugandans, it’s most unfortunate to lose our speaker. I commiserate with all Ugandans and Africa at large,” Ms Babalanda said.
Condolence messages then started pouring in, several of which were praising the deceased for his outstanding contribution as Speaker and deputy Speaker.
The minister for ICT and National Guidance, Dr Chris Baryomunsi, said the government is scheduled to convene a meeting with Oulanyah’s family to discuss preparations for returning the body from the US.
“We have to accord the speaker a decent burial. We urge fellow countrymen and women to continue praying for the members of the deceased’s family,” he said.
The minister said the Speaker was first hospitalised at Mulago hospital and later at Nakasero Hospital before he was flown to the US. Earlier, he had been to Dubai where he underwent a surgical operation.
“He has been sick and the doctors and health workers have been attending to him but as to the cause of death, I think we shall wait for a postmortem report from the doctors who have been attending to him,” he said.
At a personal level, Dr Baryomunsi said they pursued university education together when he did medicine and the deceased pursued agricultural economics. At the time, the minister said DP president Norbert Mao was guild president and Oulanyah the guild speaker.
“Since then, we have known each other and got closer when we all joined Parliament. When he was Deputy Speaker, I was also Parliament commissioner and we worked closely but it is unfortunate that he has died at a tender age,” he said.